Flood Protection and Awareness
Second only to severe storms flooding is the most common natural disaster the City experiences.
A significant portion of the City is located in the 100-year floodplain. Please see the Quick Links and the FAQs on this page to determine if your property is in a floodplain.
Prepare yourself and your family now to make sure you are ready the next time a flood occurs.
FLOOD WARNINGS AND ALERTS
- Click HERE to be directed to the National Weather Service for current flood watches, warnings and statements
- Click HERE for current river levels (including flood reporting gages)
- Know Your Alerts and Warnings: English and Spanish
BEING PREPARED FOR A FLOOD
The hyperlinks that follow contain information on how to be prepared for a flood:
- Flood Information: English and Spanish
- Are You Ready Guide
- Prepare for Emergencies Now
- Preparing Makes Sense
- Emergency Supply List: English and Spanish
- 12 Ways to Prepare: English and Spanish
- Create Your Family Emergency Communication Plan: English and Spanish
- FEMA Help After a Disaster: English and Spanish
FLOOD INSURANCE INFORMATION
The hyperlinks that follow contain information on flood insurance:
- Is Your Property in a Floodplain - Do you Need Flood Insurance
- Documenting and Insuring Your Property: English and Spanish
- Click HERE for the letter of Map Revision (LOMR) for Mount Vernon's Downtown
- Click HERE to be directed to the National Flood Insurance Protection (NFIP) website
OTHER INFORMATION AND RESOURCES
HAZARD MITIGATION PLANS & ASSOCIATED INFORMATION
The following hyperlink will take you to a page on the City's website where you can enter a parcel number or address and view a copy of an elevation certificate if the City has one on file: Elevation Certificates
PICTURES OF CITY FLOOD EVENTS
Click HERE to be directed to a gallery of flood events in the City over time.