The Mount Vernon Municipal Court is open to the public. We ask that you respect others and follow social distancing guidelines whenever possible. Wearing a mask is optional but encouraged, except it is mandatory for all hearings held at the Community Justice Center. Please do not come to court if you are experiencing illness or if you have been exposed to COVID.
Court business continues to be conducted electronically and over the phone. The hours of the Municipal Court Clerk's Office are from 8:30 to 12:00 and 1:00 to 4:30. A drop box is available between the building entry doors for those who need to drop something off during non business hours.
Remote appearances are allowed for the following hearings:
+ Mitigation Infractions
+ Contested Infractions
+ Criminal Arraignments except for DUI and DV Arraignments
* DUI and DV arraignments are held in person and are not allowed via Zoom. *
Pursuant to the Supreme Court Order, individual courts have the authority to establish appropriate court procedures in response to the COVID pandemic. The Skagit County District and Municipal Court Emergency Order 22-2 has ended as of 3-12-2022.
Bankcard payments may be made through nCourt, a payment-processing center.
Mount Vernon Municipal Court COVID Response:
- Administrative Order 21-7
- Administrative Order 21-8
- Administrative Order 21-9
- Administrative Order 21-10
- Administrative Order 21-11
- Addendum to Administrative Order 21-11
- Administrative Order 21-12
- Administrative Order 22-01
- Administrative Order 22-02
Trial by Mail for Infractions
If you have been charged with an infraction and wish to have a hearing please send your request by mail and make sure you mark the correct box, mitigation hearing or contested hearing. A notice will be mailed to you with a court date. To limit the amount of people coming to court there is a trial by mail form you may fill out and send in with your request. The judge will make a ruling and it will be mailed back to you. Please make sure the court has your correct address.
The Municipal Court has informational brochures available to the public on various topics: Explaining the procedures for a Traffic Infraction or Criminal case, Juror Information, and helpful hints to "get you through the process". Please stop by the court to obtain your copy at:
1805 Continental Pl.
Mt Vernon, WA 98273
We invite citizens to visit the court in session on any Tuesday. Cases are heard from 8:30 am until around 12:00 pm and then again at 3:00 pm until about 4:30 pm.
The Municipal Court is responsible for processing citations issued in violation of city ordinances and some state statutes by the Mount Vernon Police Department. The court sets cases for arraignment, hearing, trial, or probation revocation.
The Mission Of The Municipal Court
- Effectively and expeditiously perform case management
- Record and maintain all statistical and financial data for state reporting
- Remain the storehouse of information for criminal history and data dissemination
- Dispense justice while monitoring efficiency and cost to the public
- Provide complete customer service to all
Interpreter Request Forms
- You may have the right to a court-appointed interpreter.
- ¿Necesita un intérprete de español que le asista en el tribunal?
- Do you need an interpreter