Permitting & Licensing
Whether you are opening a business, expanding, or moving to a new location in Mount Vernon, the staff in the city's Development Services Department will work closely with you to cut through red tape and help you navigate through the permitting and regulatory process.
All businesses within the city limits are required to obtain a city business license prior to engaging in business. City business licenses are issued by the city's Finance Department.
The city is committed to exceptionally efficient and streamlined service. We offer:
- Online permit application & submittal for many permits through SmartGov
- Online plan review through SmartGov
- Dependable technical information and practical solutions
- Our services are predictable, efficient, and understandable
Permit Timelines as Follows
- Residential Mechanical and Plumbing Permits, ordinarily same day
- Solar System and Sign Permits first review within 2 weeks
- Tenant Improvements, Change of Use, Single-Family Residential and Duplex Permits first review within 4 weeks
- Commercial, Multi-Family and Mixed Use Permits first review within 4-6 weeks
- Fill & Grade permits for commercial development and plats first review within 4 weeks
- Land use permits (preliminary plats, site plans, etc) first review within 4 - 6 weeks
Following are hyperlinks to useful information when getting permits in the city. If you have questions or need additional information don't hesitate to contact our Development Services Department at: (360) 336-6214 or firstname.lastname@example.org