The City Attorney’s Office consists of two divisions: Civil Division and Prosecution Division. These divisions serve the citizens of Mount Vernon by:
- Providing legal advice and representation to the city council, mayor, boards and commissions, and city staff
- Representing the city’s interest in legal actions
- Drafting or approval of legal documents, contracts, ordinances (laws), and resolutions for council consideration
- Prosecuting violations of misdemeanors and infractions in Mount Vernon Municipal Court
- Serving as risk management for the City of Mount Vernon, analyzing the city’s liabilities and recouping damages to city property
The City Attorney’s client is the City of Mount Vernon. The City Attorney’s Office is prohibited from providing legal advice to citizens. Individuals needing legal assistance must retain private counsel.