- Development Services
- Shoreline Master Program (SMP) Update
Shoreline Master Program (SMP) Update
As required by State law 90.58 RCW, the Washington State Shoreline Management Act (SMA) the City is undertaking review of its Shoreline Master Program (SMP). The SMA requires SMPs to be reviewed and revised (if needed) on a schedule established by the State. This review ensures these plans stay current with changes in laws and remain consistent with other City plans and regulations.
The City's Planning Commission recommended approval of the updated SMP at a public hearing they held on November 16, 2021. The City Council will be holding a public hearing on the SMP update on December 8, 2021. Additional details regarding the City Council's upcoming hearing can be viewed by clicking HERE.
PROCESS & TIMELINE
|APPROXIMATE DATES||ACTION ITEMS|
|March||Public Participation Plan sent to Department of Ecology (DOE)|
|March to April||Email notification sent to stakeholders and interested parties; and
Review SMP and other relevant City codes and policies.
|April to Early-July||SMP update overview with City Council;
SMP Update Periodic Checklist available on website; and
Preliminary draft amendments available on website.
|July||Planning Commission to review draft amendments;
Post amendments on City website;
Edits and revisions suggested DOE are made to draft; and
Environmental review (SEPA).
|August to Sept.||30-day public comment period on draft revisions; and
Public Hearing before Planning Commission during 30-day public comment period.
|Sept. to Dec.||Ecology initial determination (up to 30 days);
Planning Commission Open Record Hearing 11/16/2021;
City Council Open Record Hearing 12/01/2021; and
Submit locally adopted SMP to Ecology.
DRAFT MATERIALS FOR REVIEW
Below is a list of draft materials dated July 7, 2021 that have been sent to the Department of Ecology (DOE) for their preliminary review. These items will be updated by the City to address DOE's preliminary comments once these comments are received. Check back for revised documents as the process to update the SMP continues.
- DOE's SMP Update Checklist
- SMP Update (current version), SMP Update (prior draft version)
- Appendix A Updates (current version), Appendix A Updates (prior draft version)
- Appendix C Updates (current version, Appendix C Updates (prior draft version)
- Full Size SMP Map (current version), Full Size SMP Map (prior draft version)
- SEPA Determination of Non-Significance & SEPA Checklist
- Ordinance for MVMC 15.07 and Land Use Element Goals
Staff Reports and Briefing Memos
Below are links to the Staff Reports provided to Planning Commission and City Council through this update process:
City Council's Hearing on 12.08.2021
Planning Commission's Hearing on 11.16.2021
Planning Commission's Hearing 11.16.2021 - Revised Staff Report
Planning Commission's Hearing 11.16.2021 - Revised Exhibit 7
Planning Commission, 10.05.2021
Planning Commission, 08.17.2021
- Public Participation Summary
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Currently Adopted SMP @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>